Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I am getting ready. My summer vacation has come to an end and to mark the occasion I purchased a planner. Thats right, ya'll, a good ol fashion date book to keep all of my important dates in line.

The immersion plan is under way. While in Portland i went to the original Powell's bookstore (1 street block long!!) and purchased In Spite of the Gods by Edward Luce. Attempted to find the Portland India Cultural Center but fell under the "happy hour" curse- but the attempt is respectable, right? On Sunday I thought about going down Devon Avenue to experience India/Pakistan Independance day festivities but got too intimidated by the traffic/congestion so I abondanded that idea- again, the thought is what counts! Last but not least, yesterday I went to see Kaminey with my new friend Praket who helped point out oddities in the film that make India, well india.

This brings me to the point: I have many things to do and much to learn.

Luce brings up an interesting idea about the future of India- he says that its deep spirituality and belief in reincarnation (an evolving cycle) will help it develop into a responsible democracy that can guide the other developing nations. i am weary to comment much more on this as I am only on the first chapter, but that line was repeated several times in the 30 some pages i have flipped through. i wonder if a capitalistic society can really sustain its spirituality. As the country's global influences rises, can the people shake of the urge to consume and over-indulge. I have been frustrated with the unhealthy habits encouraged by urban living.

Take a peek into today's NYTimes article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/18/world/asia/18delhi.html?_r=1&em
and while you read that listen to these guys: http://www.myspace.com/josephineandthemousepeople

Time for bed, but i promise to write in more detail tomorrow. a promise to who? myself? i guess!


No comments:

Post a Comment