Wednesday, December 30, 2009

indian food

as some of you know, i have been guerrilla cooking for some time now. i was thinking about starting a separate blog all about cooking in a kitchen that has no stove, no fridge, an electric kettle and an ancient sandwich maker, but luckily decided against it.

The first night I realized I could make something other than a grilled cheese, I chopped up carrots and onions threw a dollop of butter in the sandwich maker and let the mixture "steam" to perfection. Once my carrot slices were soft, i tossed in a few spices (what spice did i use? my spices are labeled in Gujarati so your guess is probably much better than mine- definatly not oregano or thyme). While the veggies were steaming, I boiled water and in a few minutes a bowl of 2 cent ramen noodles were ready for consumption. Maggie (aka Ramen) noodles are a big hit in india! There are road side stands that make many varieties - all far too spicy and runny for me to enjoy. The sodium content of Ramen noodles terrifies me, so i skipped the spice packet and tossed the noddles with my steamy veggies for a complete meal. There you have it folks! Veggie Pasta a la India.

Two days ago I really stepped it up. Craving some protein i finally (for the first time since arriving in vegetarian paradise) purchased 2 eggs, some delicious indian yogurt, bananas, a pomegranate, and freshly baked bread. I dipped the bread into an egg/water mixture and plopped the french toast into my sandwich maker. Between the two pieces i diced some bananas and as soon as the light switched from red to green on the sandwich maker, i drizzled honey over the top. while my stuffed french toast grilled to perfection, i peeled my pomegranate (I am a pro now) and topped the burgundy seeds with a healthy dose of fresh curd. Breakfast for dinner- a classic!

I have some carrots and flour waiting at home- carrot pancakes? carrot cake? you better believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment