Thursday, April 15, 2010

Kolkata = Calcutta

You knew that, right?
I am boarding an 11:55 train from A'bad to Calcutta/Kolkata tonight, Thursday, April 15th (my niece's 9th birthday!!!).  I will arrive in Kolkata/Calcutta some time on the 17th. That means I have 2 full days and nights on a train with 8 people in my compartment, one vent shooting out cold air and a fan that, as experience has taught me, will occasionally cease to work.  I will be staying 3 hours south of Cal/Kol on the banks of some amazing river in 109 degree weather and 90% humidity.  I am a bit scared of literally melting away, but I am choosing to think of this as a detox program...with delicious fish curries and occasional dips in the water.

My friend Hannan sent this photo of us (me, Hannan, Lily, and Marni) near the Gateway of India in Mumbai and I think it does a great job capturing my excitement for my upcoming trip to Kol/Cal:
(please note the unimpressed stares coming from behind)

1 comment:

  1. Don't miss the chance to try Sarso Ilish. Its a mustard fish preparation.. Its pretty awesome. Remember, mustard goes well with everything !

    ReplyDelete