Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Toss Toss Pass

This morning I woke up at 6 in order to make it to Law Garden- a park half way between me and the old city- for frisbee practice and a match.  I was expecting to be greeted by empty streets, but instead saw bustling chai stands, brisk walkers, and a laughing meditation group making laps around the man made "lake" (it pains me to call this polluted puddle a lake) near my house.

I walked into Law Garden and met one dude holding one frisbee. what does one person do with a frisbee? you guessed it, stand around looking helpless.  He wasn't excited to know that I was coming to join him, but after a few tosses he warmed up to me.  I still got it folks, although not nearly as good as I was in my college days.

-What followed-
7:00- the sun was HOT and one more boy joined us.
7:05- another boy joined us- and it is still HOT
7:15- we finally had enough people to play 3 on 3
7:30- "sweet frisbee!" "wow its hot!"
7:45- "what have i gotten myself into??"
8:00- "is this over yet? I think i am melting!"
8:15- "thank god its over!" and "I cant wait to do this again on saturday"

They wanted to sit around and chit chat, but i wanted to get out of the oven and into a cold shower.  So, as they began to attack me with the usual round of questions: who are you and why are you in Ahmedabad (good question!) i slipped away to find refuge in a rickshaw.

It feels great to 1. do something outside of work 2. be outside 3. run around 4. make new friends 5. toss a frisbee like I am back in the USA

1 comment: