Thursday, May 27, 2010

What I Know

My coworkers are gone, apparently visiting Udaipur, the nearest city to get a beer.  Their chairs are now occupied by coworkers I seldom see because they are based in our old city office.  
None of this would be worth mentioning if the old city wasn't in a sorry state of violence. 


Ahmedabad has a history of riots between the Muslim and Hindu communities- one of the worst taking place in 2002. I have been drafting blog posts about the 2002 riots but cant pen anything worth posting because there is just too much to say (not to mention it's an incredibly sensitive issue even today).  However, I do encourage you to read one of the best expose about the 2002 riots by Arundhati Roy.


back to today. the news is bleak. 


Yesterday, the staff from the Old City office quickly left when they heard growing tension in the streets below. On their way out rocks were flying, mobs of people were chanting and the tension was rising. The office is shut today and none of the volunteers and staff that live in the old city (most of them are Muslim) are here because of curfews. 


what is a curfew? During the 2002 riots people were forced to stay in their homes for about 5 months, allotted an hour here and there for grocery shopping or obtaining water.  Cops patrolled the roads and shot at anyone who dared to leave their home. Today the curfew is not that drastic. There was one put in place yesterday and last night, but from what I hear it has been officially lifted today. Although everyone chose to stay home today because the streets of the old city are not safe.


why are they scared? well the paper writes that one person was burned to death by acid. 4 people have been stabbed and apparently people are running around with not only knives, but also swords.  If you want to know the graphic details you can read today's article which ends with this:
Rekha Solanki, a resident of this pol, said, “The police know who these rioters are from both communities. But the police are deliberately avoiding action, which is why the violence is not coming under control.” (to which I have to say: When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix)




Tear gas shells lobbed 144 
Persons injured 14 
Policemen injured 4 
Vehicles burnt 6 
Shops burnt 24 
Rounds fired 12 
Persons stabbed 6


This has been going on since Monday. The violence erupted when a Hindu wedding procession was marching through the streets of the old city at about 9:15 pm with hundreds of people and loud music being blasted by a DJ (done for nearly all weddings and the source of my agony when I try to sleep).  When the crowds reached a mosque during prayer time they were asked to cut the DJ. and bam! you have, 4 days later, continuing violence.  

Talking to locals I come to find out that this is to be expected. That the sadness, pain, and anger from previous riots were never addressed. Very few politicians and officials were prosecuted and justice was never served to those that suffered the most. This isnt about music or that one instance of disrespect, this is about the anger that many citizens still carry/suppress.  This is about the divisions that this city continues to live with. 

Take for example where I live. The new city. If I didnt read the paper I would have no idea that violence was rocking my city, and to be totally honest I only heard yesterday- 3 days in.  There are no muslims, no mosques, no diversity around me. All Hindus, all the time.  It is when I leave the new city for a Sunday outing into the old city (which I look forward to all week) or to the outskirts of Ahmedabad (nothing there, but sometimes you just want to explore) that I realize how divided A'bad remains. The muslims live way out there and the rest are in here. No reconciliation, no coexistence, no justice, no peace.

Tomorrow I am leaving for Mumbai and hope to come back to better news. 

(photos are taken from Times of India- I haven't been to the old city to see this myself)


1 comment:

  1. you have a nice brain.
    to mumbai we shall go!

    ReplyDelete