Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Igor introduced me to Seth



I once had this friend Igor, we bonded over being russian jews in the midwest. We were introduced through BBYO and met a handful of times during our angsty years (read: high school) despite the 3 hour difference between where I called home, Nebraska, and where he called home, Kansas.  Earlier this year we happened to catch each other online and he mentioned he would be coming to India. 

"Funny, I am living in India," I responded. 

"Ya, but I am going to some unheard of place way in the West."

"Hey! Thats where I live!"

He was in Ahmedabad for about 4 days finishing a consulting project arranged through an MBA course at Yale.  I tricked him into treating me to dinner at a fancy hotel (picture with the chef above) and our friendship was back on. Just a few weeks ago he wrapped up his MBA and is now giving 100% to his start up, MyResumeShop. (congrats)

All this to say that Igor just sent me the latest post on Seth's Blog, a short and sweet blog that usually gives worthwhile advice. I share it with you...

"This better work"

... is probably the opposite of, "this might work."



"This better work," is the thinking of safety, of proven, of beyond blame.


"This might work," on the other hand, is the thinking of art, innovation and insight.


If you spend all day working on stuff that better work, you back yourself into a corner, because you'll never have the space or resources to throw some 'might' stuff into the mix. On the other hand, if you spend all your time on stuff that might work, you'll never need to dream up something that better work, because your art will have paid off long ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment