Wednesday, October 28, 2009

येल्लो fingers


I am here and, to say the least, its a bit crazy. I am staying in the same place that Gandhi lived in for over 2 years around 1917, Kochram Ashram. The space is extremely bare and the bed is a simple cot. We pick up leaves that fall from the trees (there are trees!!!) by hand and flushing consists of dumping a bucket of water down a hole in the wall. Bucket showers are all the rage here, and as soon as I figure out how to bucket shower I will be thrilled! I imagine i soap up and dump some water on me, but I am hoping there is a better technique. Ah..back to the surroundings... The ashram is as peaceful as you would imagine- you walk through a gate and abandon the chaos of the street. There is grass to sit on and trees to lean on. The sounds of birds chirping competes with the varied honking which now rocks me to sleep each night and shakes me awake each morning. People are invited to stay here for a spiritual getaway as long as they pledge to follow the 11 rules set forth by Gandhi. i will tell you all about the rules as soon as I am comfortable in my own apartment, but a few highlights include eat local, dress local, think peaceful, think fair. (MY OWN APARTMENT- Ahmedabad is home now...wow) The streets are filled with everything you are told to expect: cows, elephants, rickshaws, bicycles, motorbikes, people, monkeys, and of course the infamous dogs. Today during our first orientation lesson, my gaze was fixed on the window overlooking the street. I could hardly focus on the ice breakers we were trying to play because outside everything was bursting with color and moving so quickly.

This morning, i woke up around 4 am my time and read a few pages about global development (a light read, of course), fell back asleep, and awoke to a breakfast of bananas and Con Agra produced peanut butter. It was a refreshing reminder that even if I leave little ol Omaha, there are things I can not escape (Con Agra is a huge food packing company located in omaha nebraska- look for it on a label near you). The first few days have been simple and this journey to the internet cafe was my first time outside the walls of the ashram (if you didnt pick up on what an ashram yet is, think intentional community). As we dashed between cows and cars I tried to internalize that these streets would soon become familiar, but quiet honestly I can not. as the rickshaw came to a halt (and charged 4 of us a total of $.25 for a 20 minute ride) I found myself situated infront of a Subway. No turkey sandwich here, however. I dare not go in (yet...) but the sign in the window boasted Jared's 111 kg weight loss YEARS ago and the sandwich of the day: corn and peas! Next door was an amazing book store with tons of books in English, Gujarati, and Hindi.
I apologize for the scattered thoughts, but wanted to share a few first impressions. I have been drinking lots of water and eating up delicious Curd (yogurt). OH! looking down at my fingers just reminded me to tell you why they are stained yellow... I heard a few people say that in India you eat with your hands, but did not realize to what extent. You ONLY eat with your hands, or at least, I have only ate with my hands thus far. on a large silver platter you pile up some rice, whatever the entree is (ex: creamed spinach with homemade paneer), a blob of yogurt, and a cup of yellow dal (soupy goodness). then you begin to mix everything together with your fingers, adding more rice if its too soupy and more dal if its not soupy enough. then you dig in with your right hand only. you pick it up and shove it in using your thumb. its dirty, messy, but when everyone is doing it, who cares!

on that note, know all is well, I am in HIGH spirits and I look forward to your emails.

3 comments:

  1. i miss you SO much! this all sounds soo amazing! i wish i could share it with you, and i will try my hardest to come visit, somehow... P:

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Alana!
    I can't wait to read more! Were you able to bring a camera? I would love to see those elephants :) I'm glad to hear you're doing well!

    Erika B

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sound like a world far from ours but still the same. Would love to hear more and good luck.
    George K.

    ReplyDelete